Liver is one of the most important organs of our body which can easily give up if we don’t take good care of it. Healthy Liver is like a multi tasker. It breaks down fat from food, stores glucose and cleanses our blood by removing toxins.
Healthy Liver doesn’t need much care. A balanced diet, healthy lifestyle and good hygiene is enough to get it going.
How can a Healthy liver get affected?
- Sedentary lifestyle and obesity– Lack of exercise can affect your weight ultimately hampering your healthy liver function.
- Unhealthy eating habit– Balanced diet is important to keep your liver healthy. Junk food and untimely eating can affect your healthy liver functioning and cause fatty liver.
- Excess Alcohol consumption– Frequent drinking in excess can cause alcoholic fatty liver and if not controlled, it can lead to cirrhosis of liver.
- Lack of Hygiene– Personal and public hygiene is very important. One can catch Hepatitis A virus from contaminated food or water. Hepatitis B and C are spread through blood and body fluids.
How to keep your liver healthy?
- Balanced diet– Foods from all food groups in correct proportion makes a balanced meal. This provides all essential nutrients needed for a healthy liver.
- Healthy weight– Healthy weight helps the proper functioning of the organs. This keeps the organs healthy.
- Regular Exercise– Regular physical activity burns triglycerides and reduces fat deposition in the liver. Thus, reducing the risk of fatty liver.
- Personal hygiene– Sanitation and personal hygiene will help you protect from contact of contaminated food or water. Make sure disposable syringes are used during blood transfusion. Also wash your hands if you are in contact with blood, used sanitary pads or disposed diapers.
- Safe Sex– Usage of condom is very important during sex to avoid contact with any body fluid.
- Get vaccinated– Vaccinations for Hepatitis A and B are available. Get them done on time.
- Avoid chemically produced food, unprescribed or illegal drugs.
- Do not wait for symptoms– If you doubt you have been infected, kindly get yourself tested. Do not wait for the symptoms.
Foods that cleanse the liver-
- Garlic– Garlic is rich in allicin and selenium. These two elements are found to activate enzymes needed for healthy liver functioning.
- Citrus fruits– Grapefruit, oranges and limes are high in Vitamin C and antioxidants. They can flush out carcinogenic and toxic elements from the body.
- Turmeric– This spice boosts the enzymes to flush out toxins from the liver.
- Beets and carrots– Flavonoids and beta carotene help in the proper functioning of the healthy liver.
- Cold pressed organic oils– Olive, hemp, flaxseed and sunflower seeds are great for a healthy liver. However, they need to be used in moderation. They provide a lipid base for the body which can absorb harmful toxins. This wards the load off the liver.
- Green Tea– Antioxidant catechins support healthy liver function. However too much green tea can have negative effects on liver.
- Green Leafy vegetables– Chlorophyll helps remove toxins from the liver. They can be eaten, drank as juice or made into curry. Any form is good to cleanse the liver.
- Cruciferous vegetables– Broccoli, cabbage and other vegetables from this family provide glucosinolate which supports enzyme production in liver. These enzymes flush out carcinogens and other toxins from the body. Hence, they lower the risk of Liver Cancer.
- Avocados– This good fatty food helps the body produce glutathione which helps in cleansing the liver from toxins.
- Whole grains- Quinoa, buckwheat, millets, etc are high in fiber and gluten free. Thus, they put less load on the liver.
- Apples– These fruits are high in pectin. Pectin helps in removing toxins from the digestive tract. So, they put less load on the liver.
- Walnuts– These are in amino acid arginine, which help the liver in removing ammonia. They are also high in glutathione and omega fatty acids which support healthy liver functioning.
Let’s take a pledge on this WORLD LIVER DAY that we keep our liver healthy. Hopefully, these small points can help you get a HEALTHY WAY TO LIFE. For any assistance click on www.dietvita.com. Follow us on-
Facebook page: www.facebook.com/DietVita4U/