Foods for a healthy Gut
Have you heard of SECOND BRAIN in our body- well it’s our GUT. In charge of absorbing different nutrients as well as removing waste from our system, our gut plays an extremely crucial role. In short, our overall health including our mental health can be maintained by a healthy GUT. This is the reason scientists have given it the above Name.
Well to maintain a healthy gut, we need a balanced environment in the intestine for the proper and healthy development of Beneficial bacteria.
Let’s discuss what are these bacteria and why are they present in our Intestine.
Our Intestine has both good and bad bacteria. They live together and are referred as MICROFLORA. Good Bacteria are beneficial to our body as they help in absorbing various nutrients such as Vit B12 and also fighting with the bad bacteria. Hence their presence does affect the intestinal health.
How to maintain the microflora and a healthy gut?
- Whole Grains- Whole grains such as cereals, millets, lentils, act as Pre-biotics (food for good bacteria). They are rich in fibre and hence these help in preventing constipation. Constipation is one the major reasons for an unhealthy body.
- Probiotics- These are the live beneficial bacteria which help to maintain a healthy microbiome in the intestine. Fermented foods such as tempeh, kimchi, idli, yoghurt, pickles, kanji, etc are extremely good source of probiotics.
- Seeds- Though all the seeds are loaded with antioxidants, protein, omega 3 fatty acids and fibre, flax seeds and chia seeds are extremely rich in the above nutrients. They bulk up after absorbing water and hence put pressure on the colon to remove the faeces. So, they not only keep constipation at bay but also improve the immune system of the body.
- Herbs and spices- Ginger, garlic, fennel, asafoetida, cumin, carom, etc are found to deal with almost all stomach problems. Hence, they should be included in the daily meals.
- Whole fruits and green leafy vegetables- Filled with fibre and micro nutrients, they are extremely good for regulating bowel movement. Also, as they are rich in vitamins and minerals, digestion is improved affecting the overall health.
Always try to include locally available and seasonal fruits and vegetables to reap the most benefits.
Hope this helps. Follow our Instagram and Facebook page @dietvita4u for health and diet related tips.